Here comes the change of season! Are you ready?
We've had a bout of really gorgeous weather the last few days, and though at this time of year it can go hot and cold in one day, now it’s certainly time to be getting ready for the approaching spring/summer season.
I recommend my clients put away out of season clothes, either in vacuum bags or in another wardrobe so it's a good time to take care of the items you’ll be packing away.
Here’s a to-do list for what to do before packing away your winter clothes
1. Inspect your boots and make repairs before storing them. That way they’ll be ready when you need them for autumn.
2. Dry clean or wash your heavier wool jumpers, jackets, scarves and gloves and check for moth holes. If there’s too much damage, get rid of the item. If it’s repairable and you love it, get it mended before storing it.
3. Check coats for missing or broken buttons and scuffed or soiled sleeves before being put away until autumn. Do it now, not later.
What to do before getting into your spring wardrobe
1. Check your lighter more 'spring/summer' handbag. Is it scuffed or worn at the corners? Does it need cleaning or mending. Consider re-dying it. You can have “feet” put on the bottom of the bag to protect it from wear.
2. Go through your sunglasses. What’s out-of-style, broken or in need of updated an prescription? If your sunglasses feel uninspired, start thinking what style you'd like to wear this season. There’s plenty to select from.
3. When pulling out your summer shoes or sandals, take a close look before putting them on shelves, in boxes or baskets. Are they scuffed, too worn, or have broken parts? It is best to let go of the over worn pairs and replace them now at the beginning of the season when the shops still have plenty of choice in sizes.
4. Go through your jewellery and look for what needs cleaning or repairing. Polishing your jewellery will make it look new again. Do you have a bracelet that needs a new clasp? Do you have a necklace that needs to be restrung? Do you have a watch that needs a new battery?
5. Reassess your underwear. Are bras stained with perspiration marks? Has the elastic worn out of bras or knickers? Are you in need of a new size? And most important in my book, do you have a seam free nude bra? If not, now is the time to go and get re measured and buy one!
6. Go through your makeup and get rid of any unusable and expired products. If you don't use something and you've had it for years, get rid of it! There’s no reason to keep holding on to things that aren’t working. Make up goes off.
Summer is a great time to go for fresher lighter makeup so make sure you see what's new.
There’s so much to be excited about this summer. Let me help you transition your wardrobe into the new season. Get in touch!
Lizzie Edwards is a Personal Stylist, Image Consultant and Executive Presence Coach for men and women, based in London, UK.