We’ve all had those days when we’ve opened up our wardrobe and felt unhappy about nearly everything in there.
For some of us it’s just a once-in-a-while occurrence, but for others it’s more chronic than that.
Here are some ways you may be feeling discouraged about your wardrobe.
1. You look inside your wardrobe and see all the clothes that still have tags on them. You mentally calculate all the money you’ve spent on things you’ve never worn and you feel sick to your stomach.
2. You’re planning to wear something to a special occasion. You go to try it on and it doesn’t fit. You hastily look for alternatives and now you’re in a panic: you can’t find anything to wear and you don’t have time to shop for something new.
3. You love lots of the items you own, but rarely does an outfit you’ve put together get a compliment. You feel like you must be doing something wrong!
4. You’re sure you’ve bought a simple top that would be perfect to wear with your patterned skirt or trousers, only you can’t find it. You rifle through your hangers; you look on the floor of your wardrobe; at the back of your drawers. You can’t see what you know you have, and it’s beginning to drive you crazy.
5. You look inside your wardrobe and say “I don’t want to wear any of this!” You do this a few times a week.
6. Your teenage daughter is borrowing your clothes and not giving them back. Is this a mother-daughter issue, or could it be that you don’t have age-appropriate clothes? You wonder whether it’s time to stop your Topshop shopping sprees.
7. You choose clothes and get dressed feeling ok, but when you join your friends you feel underdressed and a bit embarrassed. You wonder why you just don’t seem to get it right anymore.
8. You’re not great at taking care of your wardrobe, and there’s a number of items that require some care and attention; de-bobbling, alterations, dry cleaning and simple mending. You have great things you could be wearing but they remain un-wearable and collecting dust in the wardrobe ‘to-do’ pile.
9. Your wardrobe just seems all wrong. You could pack it up and give it to someone else because nothing in your closet is “you” anymore.
Can you relate? Are any of these problems your problems? There is a simple fix for all of them – me! If you’d like to feel organised, clear about your style, and open your wardrobe to clothes that you love wearing and feeling happy about what you put on, I can help.
Get in touch and we can discuss what’s going on and then I’ll share with you the first steps towards a solution. I can’t wait to help!
Lizzie Edwards is a personal stylist and image consultant for men and women, based in London, UK.