Both the words 'fashion' and 'style' are banded about a lot, but do you know the difference and what you prefer for your wardrobe?
Here are some key fashion and style points:
- The designer Karl Lagerfeld, hit the nail on the head when he said, “Fashion is now and tomorrow. Who cares about the past? Fashion is something people are supposed to consume immediately.”
- New fashion items come into stores daily. There is never a shortage of new fashion. Fashion is meant to expire and move off the store floors, that’s the rhythm of fashion. Marketing for new seasons creates demand for your next purchases.
- Some people love to be in the latest fashion colours, wear 'the jacket' of the season, or own the 'it bag'. This person may reinvent herself each season, which can be expensive. If this is you, shop for high fashion looks at lower prices at stores such as Zara and Top Shop.
- The good thing about paying attention to fashion is that it refreshes your 'style eyes'. When you see pearls all over the pages of magazines you remember the pearls that are in your drawer that you don't wear. It can inspire you to pull out those items and enjoy them all over again.
- The late designer, Yves Saint Laurent, who provided us with decades of groundbreaking fashion, some of which has stood the test of time said, “Fashions fade, style is eternal.”
- Style is how you choose to express yourself in the world. Fashion gives you the tools to express yourself and your style with clarity. There’s a big difference between choosing a black trench coat, a red one, or one with leopard print. You know which one’s best for your personal style.
- Personal style never expires; it evolves. It takes some time and soul-searching to figure it out. Once you’ve defined it in words, you can use fashion to translate it. Your style may change over the years. Paying attention to it, reviewing it and making adjustments to it will keep you empowered.
- When you understand your style, you’ll be savvy about how you spend money on clothing. If you’re expressing your style, don’t be afraid to spend money on quality pieces that speak to you. When you wear them a lot, the cost-per-wear will make them bargains!
- Style lovers express their style in all wardrobe categories from work to play to evening. Their passion is creating more and more clarity so they establish a signature style, which forms part of their personal brand. Soon every time you think of that person, you think of their style. They go together seamlessly and can be a valuable asset.
- Style comes from a quality within you. It’s a combination of your preferences, your experiences, and your lifestyle. As you understand your style, the items in your wardrobe or the jewellery in your jewellery box, will all be things that add to and support your style. When it comes to getting dressed, you can feel confident that you are expressing the best of who you are.
Personally, I'm not really into fashion but rather more interested in style. I know what I like and what I don't, and it can change and evolve, but it never changes dramatically and is consistently pretty simple and plain!
As a personal style consultant I can help you develop your style and utilise fashion to get the most enjoyment out of your wardrobe. If you feel unclear about your style, get in touch and let's see how I can help you gain clarity, and style confidence. I would love to help!
Lizzie Edwards is a Personal Stylist, Image Consultant and Executive Presence trainer in London, UK.